17 SECONDS! UFC legend Rousey marks return from 10-year hiatus with crazy win

Date:

Share post:

MMA icon Ronda Rousey has embarrassed fellow combat sports legend Gina Carano in their main event bout, winning by armbar submission in just 17 seconds on Sunday AEST.

Rousey immediately shot for a takedown and secured a trademark armbar, with Carano tapping out moments into the first round. The duo embraced and laughed after the referee ended the fight.

The former Olympian and UFC champion, aged 39, was returning to MMA for the first time in nearly a decade, with the blockbuster comeback fight headlining the first MMA event promoted by Jake Paul’s Most Valuable Promotions brand.

Watch the biggest Aussie sports & the best from overseas LIVE on Kayo Sports | New to Kayo? Join now and get your first month for just $1 >

“My husband and my kids are watching,” Rousey said after the win.

“I don’t want to put them through anything more than that.”

It also marked Carano’s first MMA defeat since 2009.

“I wanted it to last longer,” Carano laughed.

According to the California State Athletic Commission, Rousey earned US$2.1 million (AU$3 million) for her performance, while Carano took home US$1.05 million (AU$1.5 million) in the losing effort.

Earlier on the card, former UFC heavyweight champion Francis Ngannou defeated Brazil’s Philipe Lins after landing a counter left for a first-round KO.

It was his first MMA bout since October 2024, while he has not been beaten since July 2018.

“I’m the f***ing best, period,” Ngannou declared after the win.

The 39-year-old also called for a fight against American champion Jon Jones, who was working at the venue as an analyst.

“He should be watching what I’m doing and learn,” Ngannou said of Jones.

“Figure it out and come make this fight.”

No one survives Francis Ngannou! | 00:41

Elsewhere, America’s Mike Perry defeated hometown hero Nate Diaz in a bloody co-main event, with the welterweight slugfest ending after two rounds courtesy of a TKO via doctor’s stoppage.

Perry dropped his 41-year-old opponent with a knee just before the bell sounded, with the referee calling for the cageside doctor to assess Diaz’s bloodied face, caused by a cut over his right eye.

Diaz declared he would like a rematch, claiming he broke his finger early in the first round, while Perry called for a shot against Jake Paul inside the cage.

“Jake’s crazy calling out Francis Ngannou,” Perry said during the post-fight interview.

“But I would do MMA against Jake Paul.”

Paul responded: “I’ll MMA this motherf***er, I already beat that a** in boxing.”

Ngannou vs Jones? ‘He wants the fight’ | 00:44

FULL CARD

Ronda Rousey def. Gina Carano by SUB1

Mike Perry def. Nate Diaz by TKO2

Francis Ngannou def. Philipe Lins by KO1

Salahdine Parnasse def. Kenneth Cross by TKO1

Robelis Despaigne def. Junior dos Santos by KO1

Namo Fazil def. Jake Babian by SUB2

Adriano Moraes def. Phumi Nkuta by SUB3

Jason Jackson def. Jeff Creighton by KO1

David Mgoyan def. Albert Morales by unanimous decision

Aline Pereira def. Jade Masson-Wong by split decision

Brandon Jenkins def. Chris Avila by split decision

Source link

Related articles

Sacked Real Madrid boss takes over Chelsea. He’s already facing a big $1.3bn roster headache

Chelsea appointed Xabi Alonso as the club’s manager on Sunday on a four-year deal with the Spaniard the...

Wemby’s parting dig at ‘dirty’ rivals after 9yr Spurs first; top seed extend crazy record — NBA wrap

The San Antonio Spurs have booked their ticket to the NBA Western Conference Finals with an emphatic 139-109...

Liverpool at risk of stunning collapse as second half meltdown leaves door ajar for shock scenario

Aston Villa secured Champions League football with a 4-2 win over Liverpool on Friday that leaves the Reds...

Ronda Rousey unloads on UFC stars before blockbuster comeback clash

Former UFC champion Ronda Rousey has taken aim at Khamzat Chimaev just days out from her blockbuster comeback...