This is Fox Sports Australia’s combat sports column Fighting Words, where we give you all the latest news and views in MMA and boxing, from Australia and abroad.
Australian boxing great Jeff Fenech has rejected suggestions Tim Tszyu should spar his younger brother as part of preparations for American superstar Errol Spence Jnr — but still has plans to help reunite the feuding siblings.
Speaking with Fighting Words this week, Fenech also revealed the three men who will help corner Tszyu for the biggest fight of his career, including a Queenslander who was part of Jeff Horn’s epic upset against Manny Pacquiao.
The revelations come as famed American trainer Robert Garcia is not only backing Tszyu against Spence on July 26, but insists Fenech’s aggressive coaching style is “perfect” for causing the upset.
Spence Jr. vows all-out war with Tszyu | 13:36
Yet in a jab that could hint at a future showdown for Tszyu, Garcia added that while he would’ve happily readied Tszyu for Spence himself, he could never have ‘The Phoenix’ spar his own super welterweight star Vergil Ortiz Jr.
“You would have to come help Tim Tszyu out of the ring,” he grinned.
As first revealed by Fox Sports Australia last month, Tszyu and his new coaching team —headed by Fenech — are jetting out to Bangkok, Thailand from next Monday for three weeks of training and sparring.
While Tszyu has previously done entire camps in both Las Vegas and Miami, Florida, this latest preparation will include only a few weeks in Asia before the final six weeks of work are completed in Sydney.
While the Tszyu brothers have endured a public falling out in recent times, there has already been suggestions Nikita — a southpaw like Spence — could be brought in for sparring, as the brothers have done previously.
Nikita has also said, despite staying away from each other’s fights recently, he would consider the role of sparring partner if the camp was in Australia.
Yet while ‘The Butcher’ is now ranked top 10 in multiple divisions, and unbeaten in a dozen fights, Fenech says the rising 28-year-old won’t be used in preparation for the Spence showdown.
“Obviously my job is to pick the sparring partners,” Fenech told us this week. “And for this camp Tim Tszyu doesn’t need Nikita … because Nikita is nothing like Errol Spence Jnr.”
Fenech added that his decision has nothing to do with the ongoing beef between the boys, which he described as “absolutely fixable”.
The four-time world champ has known both fighters for their entire lives and also welcomed the chance to eventually bring them together.
“Oh, of course I’d love to do that,” Fenech said. “And I know things are absolutely fixable.
“But right now, entering camp, no fighter needs the added pressure of that.
“Plus, Tim is fine. Obviously Nikita has stayed with Tim’s old team, and people who were wanting to take Tim to court. So right now I just want Tim happy and part of a happy camp.”
US COACH: “YOU’D HAVE TO HELP TSZYU OUT OF THE RING …”
One of America’s most esteemed coaches has labelled Jeff Fenech – and his famously aggressive training style – as the “perfect” way for Tim Tszyu to fight, and beat, Errol Spence Jnr.
Speaking with The Punch Podcast this week however, Robert Garcia also joked Tszyu would have little hope in even a sparring session with his own star, Vergil Ortiz Jnr, grinning: “You would have to come help Tim out of the ring …”
As part of a rollercoaster eight months for Australia’s longtime pay-per-view king, Tszyu has changed camps not once, but twice — dumping longtime trainer Igor Goloubev before then lasting just two fights with Cuban master Pedro Diaz.
And while Garcia admitted, initially, to having no idea who was now coaching the former world champ when interview this week, he quickly backed the Australian’s switch when told it was Fenech.
Elsewhere, Garcia said he would have absolutely taken Tszyu on as a client – as many suggested early on — but suggested the Australian may still be eyeing of a showdown with Ortiz Jr.
It has now been over two years since Tszyu was forced to withdraw from a proposed fight with Ortiz Jr, due to the cut suffered in his 2024 bloodbath against Sebastian Fundora having failed to recover properly.
Quizzed on the idea of having Tszyu and Ortiz Jnr under the same roof, Garcia said coaching the Australian “would be a great challenge”.
“[But] I don’t know about sparring him and Vergil,” he said. “That might be a little too much to handle.
“I do have another five or six 154 pounders that are young, hungry, talented and would bring the best out of Tim Tszyu definitely.”
Told a sparring session between Tszyu and Ortiz could have tickets sold to it, Garcia laughed: “Yeah, but you would have to come help Tim Tszyu out of the ring …”
Then after a short pause, the coach clarified. “Look, I’ve never met him,” he continued of Tszyu. “I have nothing against him and wish him all the best. It’s just joke … but Vergil is my fighter, definitely.”
And as for Tszyu’s recent coaching switch up?
“I don’t know why Tim Tszyu didn’t like [Diaz],” started the trainer whose clients include the likes of Jesse ‘Bam’ Rodriguez, Raymond Muratalla, and Ortiz Jnr.
“But I know Pedro likes to use a lot of movement, a lot of footwork, which could be good for some,” Garcia explained. “But I think Tim Tszyu is more a ‘look for the fight’ type of fighter. Someone who has good reflexes in front of his opponent, counters really well and has great power.
“So I don’t know how Fenech will do in the corner, but he’s a former champion and a tremendous warrior … and that style is what Tim Tszyu needs to perform.
“Pedro was more of a technical, round by round trainer. He’s not too excited to go out there and put a beating on your opponent. He wants you to take your time and fight smart. Which isn’t a bad idea but maybe just didn’t fight Tszyu’s style.”
Asked how he would prepare Tszyu, Garcia told The Punch Podcast: “How I would train any of my fighters against Spence is to be aggressive. Stay on top of him, throwing punches and moving.
“Obviously, he does have skills and you have to be careful. Move your head. But, yes, I think being aggressive, going after the fight and making him fight is the best way to go at this stage of Spence’s career.”
Liam Paro excited to “make history” | 27:35
TSZYU’S NEW CORNER REVEALED
Back on Fenech, and the Hall of Famer has revealed Tszyu’s corner for the Spence bout.
Asked about the corner for Spence, and Fenech revealed his chief second will be Basil Nassis, a longtime Sydney trainer who has also worked with athletes from a variety of sports including the South Sydney Rabbitohs, Sydney FC and Australian Rugby Sevens teams.
Elsewhere, one of Australia’s most respected cutmen, Stephen Edwards, will also join the team for the July headliner.
Edwards has worked a host of huge world title fights – including Jeff Horn’s unforgettable 2017 upset of Manny Pacquiao – and will also be with Liam Paro when he challenges IBF welterweight champ Lewis Crocker in Brisbane in June.
The final place in Tszyu’s corner will go to the fighter’s grandfather, and perennial good luck charm, Boris.
AUSSIE HEAVYWEIGHT’S ‘DRUG CHEAT’ DRAMA
Justis Huni’s team have declared no interest in facing outspoken American Jarrel ‘Big Baby’ Miller, with the Australian heavyweight’s manager Mick Francis saying: “I don’t want my fighter in front of drug cheats”.
The revelations comes as Huni now plans to hit the open market later this year, with Francis refusing to rule out a move to Zuffa Boxing, where he already has Australia’s cruiserweight king Jai Opetaia.
As revealed by this column last week, Huni has only two more fights with UK promoter Eddie Hearn, which includes an Australian headliner in August.
Win that, and Hearn will then put the Queenslander in a big fight on the undercard of Tyson Fury versus Anthony Joshua.
For the first part of that double header, Hearn has already expressed interest in bringing a big name Down Under for Huni in August — with potential names including Deontay Wilder, Joseph Parker and Miller. Another option is Englishman Richard Riakporhe.
While Miller was initially favoured for the event, Team Huni now say they have no interest in the Brooklyn native who has endured three bans for performance-enhancing drug use – including prior to his own showdown with Joshua.
“So I’ve put a line through him,” Francis says of Miller. “I don’t want him. On three different occasions he’s been caught on drugs. So if he comes out here to fight Justis, will he be on drugs again? Being completely honest with you, I don’t want my fighter in front of drug cheats.”
So as for who it will be?
“I know Eddie has definitely been dropping some big names,” Francis continued. “But I’m just not sure who among them is really willing to come all the way down here to get bashed by Justis Huni.
“With Miller, Justis would box his ears off. But he’s a disrespectful guy, talks a lot of smack, and I just don’t think that’s the right fit for Justis Huni. I’ve also got some names we are keen on and I’ll be speaking to Eddie in due course.”
Quizzed on who will be co-promoting the Australian heavyweight moving forward, Francis continued: “I’ll give it until the end of the year and then put Justis onto the open market.
“The deal with Eddie is to fight on Main Event in Australia next, then go onto the undercard of Anthony Joshua versus Tyson Fury. So two more fights and then after that he goes onto the open market and we see where he lands.”
GSP HATES FIGHTING
UFC legend Georges St-Pierre has revealed he never actually enjoyed fighting despite becoming one of the sport’s greatest-ever champs.
The former welterweight and middleweight king – widely regarded as one of the greatest MMA fighters of all time – opened up during a recent conversation with fellow UFC icon Demetrious Johnson.
“I never liked fighting,” St-Pierre admitted on Johnson’s YouTube channel. “First, you can get hurt, but then it’s also heartbreaking. You do all this training and then you can end up losing.”
The Hall of Famer explained that while he loved the challenge and problem-solving aspect of martial arts, he never enjoyed hurting people.
“I like to go to the gym and have the freedom to do what I like,” he said. “But the price you pay is you have to be ready on the day to fight – and that’s what sucks!”
GEORGE ROSE’S SECURITY SAVE
George Rose’s decision to appoint a couple of security guards to both Nelson Asofa-Solomona and George Burgess across NRL Magic Round weekend has proved a sound investment – although not because of any beefing between his crossover heavyweights.
Instead, this column can reveal the biggest issue involved a couple of NRL fans who — for reasons that can only be found at the bottom of waaaay too many Fourex cans — tried baiting the former enforcers inside Suncorp Stadium. Thankfully, No Limit’s paid security team were able to step in and move on the pests who, apparently, have never seen the grainy video of ‘Big Nasty’ in Bali.
NAS goes in on George Burgess | 01:27
NO LIMIT SIGNING WANTS OPETAIA’S STRAP
No Limit’s newest signing Luke Modini has declared himself ready for a crack at the IBF cruiserweight title only recently stripped from Jai Opetaia.
Undefeated in 12 fights, the Brisbane southpaw is preparing to face China’s Peng Qu on the June 24 undercard of Liam Paro’s IBF welterweight title fight.
A win there, and Modini then wants into the mix for Opetaia’s old IBF strap. Already, an eliminator for the No.1 spot has been set down for August between David Nyika and Floyd Masson.
Asked about his new charge and George Rose said: “Luke’s got serious power … he could absolutely go steal the show in June.”
WHITE HOUSE BUG PROBLEM
Dana White has raised concerns over a potential insect problem at the White House ahead of the UFC’s blockbuster card, which is less than a month away.
Already no fan of outdoor combat sports events, the UFC boss is planning UFC Freedom 250 on the South Lawn of the White House – and has just discovered there are thousands of gnats in the area.
“Another problem that I always think about, especially on the East Coast, bugs,” White said on the Boardroom Talks podcast.
“President Trump just opened the Rose Garden two nights ago.
“He invited me to dinner there. The amount of gnats that were flying around … I’m like, ‘Holy s***.’ As soon as I got on the plane, I called my head of production and said, ‘Yeah, let me tell you about the gnat situation tonight.’”
White said he is worried the lighting setup for the event could attract even more insects.
“In your mouth, in your nose while you’re trying to fight,” White said.
“I was telling Craig, my head of production, I’m like, ‘Maybe we put fans in, because gnats have a bad time in the wind,’
“I don’t know. These are all the little details we have to think about. That’s why I don’t like fighting outside ever.”
BOXING GREAT REVEALS TSZYU EDGE
Former four-division world champ Mikey Garcia believes Errol Spence and Tim Tszyu are evenly matched on paper – but says one major factor could tilt the blockbuster in the Aussie’s favour.
Garcia, who challenged Spence for a world title in 2019, said Tszyu’s home advantage Down Under looms as a significant hurdle for the American superstar as he prepares for his long-awaited return.
“That’s a good matchup,” he told ENEWS. “Spence hasn’t fought in, what, two or three years?
“That’s a good fight for him to come back to. Tim Tszyu is not at his prime anymore … it’s a good matchup for a return, and it’s a good matchup for Tim too – a big name and a chance at something bigger.
“But he [Spence] is going to Australia, so that’s a little iffy there. But matchup-wise, that’s 50-50.”