Australia have been dumped out of the T20 World Cup.
After disappointing defeats at the hands of Zimbabwe and then Sri Lanka, the Aussies needed Ireland to beat Zimbabwe on Tuesday to keep their Super 8 hopes alive.
Instead, that clash was washed out — ending Australia’s title hopes with Zimbabwe now confirmed to be going through alongside Sri Lanka.
Watch the biggest Aussie sports & the best from overseas LIVE on Kayo Sports | New to Kayo? Join now and get your first month for just $1 >
The clash was abandoned at 5:30 local time without a single ball being bowled in Kandy.
Had Ireland come away with a win, Australia still would have been banking on Sri Lanka beating Zimbabwe on Thursday and then themselves winning against Oman.
Ireland and Oman have joined Australia in being knocked out of the running to progress from Group B.
It’s only the second time in T20 World Cup history that Australia have not progressed to the Super 8s, with the other tournament being the 2009 edition — 17 years ago.
‘COMPLETE FAIL’: Aussie selectors must answer for failure. Not picking Smith isn’t the biggest
‘Marnus is not happy!’ Did he hit it? | 00:53
It’s also the third consecutive T20 World Cup campaign in which Australia have missed out on the semi finals.
“It’s a devastated group,” captain Mitch Marsh said after his side went down to Sri Lanka on Tuesday morning.
“We’re in the lap of the Gods now I think with the way it’s shaped up. There’s a lot of emotions in the rooms right now. We haven’t been at our best.”
Australia had a shambolic build-up to the tournament.
They lost leading pace bowlers Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood to injury, while captain Mitchell Marsh missed the first two games after being hit in the groin in training and suffering testicular bleeding.
Steve Smith, meanwhile, was left out despite being in terrific form top of the order in the Big Bash League and his expertise in playing against spin bowling.
He flew in as cover last week and was formally added to the Australia squad at the weekend.
But then he was left out for the must-win game against Sri Lanka on Monday, which saw an Australia middle-order collapse as they lost by eight wickets.
Speaking on SEN Radio after the loss to Sri Lanka, Mark Waugh said Australia’s T20 World Cup campaign was “doomed” from the start and that the non-selection of Smith was “the most baffling” in recent memory.
“I think that the whole campaign was doomed from the get-go with selection issues and injuries,” Waugh said.
“I think preparation hasn’t been great. It’s all unfolded probably the way I thought it would, even though we’re in a pretty weak group.
“I know you can’t please everybody, and sometimes there are tough calls that can go either way, but to me, the non-selection of Steve Smith in the squad originally is the most baffling non-selection I can remember for ages.”